EAC won't recognize its own .CUE file

Discussion in 'Exact Audio Copy - English' started by fuerza, Jul 13, 2010.

1. fuerza

fuerza New Member

After reading several reviews, I decided to try EAC.

But...EAC won't recognize its own .CUE file to burn an audio CD using .FLAC files that I ripped using EAC.

I used this guide to teach me how: http://blowfish.be/eac

What's the purpose of using EAC to create .FLAC files if the program won't read its own .CUE file to then burn a CD from those .FLAC files???
  2. greynol

greynol Member Deluxe

Not everyone who creates flac files intends to burn them back to CD, perhaps. For those who do, they probably understand that EAC cannot decode flac, so they decode prior to burning, or they may choose a different program that can, such as burrrn.
  3. fuerza

fuerza New Member

It just seems to be a severe oversight on EAC's part. They offer a "burn a CD" option but no decoder while other popular, and just as powerful, CD rippers realize that people don't want to have to go out and download and install 3 - 5 secondary programs to support just one program. If I want to archive all of my CD's to my HD in the best lossless format and then go on a trip and want to burn a CD to take with me, I can't do it with this program. As I said, why bother compressing a file when the program that compressed it doesn't have the ability to undo what it has done.
  4. greynol

greynol Member Deluxe

I read it the first time and gave you a very reasonable response. I don't see much point in repeating myself.

Well, no, you already have the programs you need installed: EAC and flac.exe.

I can see why someone who isn't familiar with the development history of this program or its developer would say such a thing. Feel free to search this forum if you wish to learn more about this.

You're hard pressed to name one that will rip securely to flac and burn it back to CD which doesn't cost you any money. Regardless, feel free to use something else if you don't like EAC.

FWIW, EAC can burn files encoded with Monkey's Audio.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  5. fuerza

fuerza New Member

I can see you and I are going to have to agree to disagree.

<<You're hard pressed to name one that will rip securely to flac and burn it back to CD>>

Again, this statement is not true. Once I rip to .FLAC and have that .CUE file, the program does not know how to deal with the .CUE file to burn back to an audio-playable CD. You must call in other programs to have them do the grunt work of yet another conversion. Again, it makes no sense. In order to make the .FLAC file, you see the program converting to .WAV (and then discarding it). It should be able to do the same in reverse. That would be akin to me taking my car to a mechanic and he tells me he can take my car apart and store the parts neatly on shelves but he won't be able to put the car back together. Why would I take my car to such a mechanic?

If you work for EAC or are affiliated with them, I can see your desire to defend the product. And don't get me wrong, it has some impressive features, just not impressive enough for me to recommend to students I teach as a professor in an end-user computer course.
  6. greynol

greynol Member Deluxe

How does this invalidate my assertion that you're going to have trouble finding a program that is free of charge that can rip securely to flac and burn back to CD-R? It doesn't.

It is also true that you have all the executables that you need when you installed to decode flac files to wave and then burn them using EAC (assuming you don't have any issues with HW compatibility). I would expect that someone who professes to profess about computers should be able to figure this out. Here's a clue:
    http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_tools_flac.html

It's clear to me that you are not really reading what I'm writing so I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this with you.
  7. Teller

Teller Member Deluxe

Your analogy is somewhat flawed.
    Try this modified one
    You take your car to a mechanic and have him remove parts that you then take home and re-machine into a different configuration and function. Then you return the parts to your mechanic and insist he should know how to assemble your car with parts that no longer function or fit.

It was your choice to convert what EAC does best to flac. At some point in the development of EAC Andre at his own expense and for the convenience of its free users added the ability for EAC to act as an agent to other programs and codecs, even ones that did not yet exist, flac being one of them. Now that you want to burn a cd-r is pushing that mouse pointer around for a few seconds really that much a burden?

I'm surprised to see that a professor in an end-user computer course does not have the ability to write a simple script or context menu option that quickly converts the flac format to wave format. Somewhere in this forum you will find one I published that conveniently edits cue sheets for burning with EAC.

There is also no guarantee that a flac file will decode without error so some may consider it an advantage to decode and verify as a step prior to burning the disc. Using the files created by EAC the program certainly knows how to use them to to burn and exact copy of a cd. I've done it many times.

Perhaps one day Andre at his own expense and for the convenience of its free users will update his program to save a few mouse clicks for us all but until then, as greynol said you are free to choose a different program.
  8. greynol

greynol Member Deluxe

BTW, the site listed for configuring EAC contains incomplete and misleading information about the drive configuration options under secure mode; perhaps elsewhere as well.
  9. fuerza

fuerza New Member

To both greynol and Teller -

I appreciated the spirit in which you both attempted to defend this program, but you crossed the line when you start attacking the integrity of my profession. Allow me to be perfectly blunt, when you have a Ph.D. and tenure at a university, then you can be a pisser and insult people.

With my responsibilities, I neither have the time or desire to write code anymore - of any type. I did that fresh out of college many, many years ago. I choose programs for my students to use that are in accord with their level of technical expertise - which is beginner to intermediate, at best.

I was trying to point out some short comings of an otherwise, competent program. But instead of trying to acknowledge that there was room for improvement, you spent all of your time defending an overlooked component and then turning to attack me - for what reason, I will never know - perhaps out of fear of Andre.

But I will tell you, treating people like this on EAC's sponsored forum site, doesn't make people want to use their products, much less speak highly of them in hopes of diverting people to your website.

Best of luck with your product.
  10. g725s

g725s New Member

Decode prior to burning.... Is that .flac has to be recoded back to .wav as the CUE Sheet has reference to.

So if your are putting your CD to hard drive as .flac you must use a program that can convert to .wav as it is burning the CD or do it yourself prior to burning a CD?
  11. greynol

greynol Member Deluxe

That's correct.
  12. g725s

g725s New Member

Thanks Greynol. I'm just trying to get an understanding of this whole CUE Sheet thing.

How then is the CUE Sheet used once you've created it? Lets say you have a burning program that can do what we are talking about above. Do you just point it to all the .flac track files and the CUE Sheet. And the burning program will recognize the CUE and the .flac files at the same time and burn accordingly?
  13. greynol

greynol Member Deluxe

I already gave you an answer, though you can pretty well figure this out by trying these things yourself.
  14. Teller

Teller Member Deluxe

A cue sheet is a list. It is used as a convenience tool to load all the information needed to burn a cd-r. The cue tells the burning program what audio files will be used and where on your computer they are located. The cue sheet shows how the audio is organized into tracks and in what order to burn them. It also shows how to Handel gap information that may exist. The cue sheet may optionally contain textual information for burning cd-text for drives that support it.
    You could layout the cd-r manually but as I said the cue sheet just makes it that much easier and faster.
  15. greynol

greynol Member Deluxe

16. g725s

g725s New Member

Thanks greynol and Teller,
    I have read everything over at hydrogenaudio.org on EAC and FLAC in their knowledge base and many posts in my very limited time being a dad that works 70 hours a week. I get the idea of what a Cue Sheet is. Just that there is no real instructions or guides on how to actually use it in various programs. And there is more than one type of CUE sheet to complicate things.
    Sorry for all the questions. I just want to digitize a large collection of CDs that I have. I won't be burning new ones that much but will want to take the FLAC and use it via my computer for:
    1: listening and keeping it organized on my personal computer or home media server
    2: transferring to portable audio player
    3: transferring to home audio player
    4: streaming (home music server, web streaming etc)
    5: burning CD very rarely
    6: burning compilation CD even more rarely.
    7. if my media players can organize playlists for the above I'm good.
    8. and just have an archive where I won't have to re-rip the CDs, most of which are my sons and will travel with him, but I paid for them ;-)
    9. transfering my collection from drive to drive and media player to media player in the years to come and not have to re-rip the CD, and have a copy on my drive of the original CD to work with.

In our family there are roughly 2500 CDs. Some not in the greatest condition (another reason I choose EAC)

All music at this point will be from actual CDs. I choose FLAC and EAC because that seemed to be the general concensus from searching the web. I might have gone with WAV but FLAC sounds better in that it saves hard drive space. And EAC seems again to be the best rated from my searches on the web. But working with it is not just plug and play as I am finding out. I'm cool with that but don't have a lot of time. I don't want to tweak too much with many programs at this point just use one or two programs to get the actions that I need done.

So far I got EAC working with FLAC. That program seems to do what it should but I really have limited knowledge. But so far I have been able to create an Audio CD from FLAC files made with EAC I got Nero 9 for free via rebate so I used that to burn the FLAC individual FLAC track files that I made with EAC, and it made what seems is an exact copy of the original CD. So right there no CUE was needed and make me wonder why a CUE might be needed at all. I've got a lot to learn about this stuff though. And I've yet to do much of the other things listed above from FLAC.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  17. greynol

greynol Member Deluxe

The type of CUE sheet you should use depends on what you're having EAC do with gaps if ripping to multiple files. If you're ripping as a single-file image then there's a type of CUE for that as well.
    http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_Gap_Settings

If you burn a disc without a CUE sheet from files that were ripped with gaps appended to the previous track (done by default), the tracks on your copy will be the same (neglecting possible differences due to the data being offset from reading, writing or a combination of both). The disc might look exactly the same as well, so long as there is no 00 index before the first track. If there is then a CUE sheet is required to preserve the original layout of the disc (assuming that the disc isn't enhanced with a data track or data session).
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010