FLAC vs APE !!! Which should be used?

Discussion in 'Exact Audio Copy - English' started by tttoan, Sep 20, 2007.

1. tttoan

tttoan New Member

Sorry for my silly question.
    It seems that EAC does not fully support FLAC files.
    Which is better to use with EAC? Is FLAC have better compression ratio than APE?
    I often use EAC to backup my CD to APE file format, and EAC also support to add APE files to write back to CD.

Now I want to try with FLAC but don't know where to start?
    (pls don't tell me to use EAC to rip CD to WAVE first, then use FLAC to compress WAVE to .FLAC)
    When I go to EAC compression option, I don't see any thing related to FLAC in the "parameter passing scheme" drop down list.

When writing CD(in the CD layout editor) EAC don't support to add .FLAC extension (only WAV, MP3, MPC, APE).

Please advice,
    Thanks.
  2. greynol

greynol Member Deluxe

It really does not matter which one you use for ripping. Burning is a different story (as you mentioned), but I prefer not to decode Monkey's Audio on the fly in which case it makes no difference either.

Nope, it's the other way around in the vast majority of cases by several percent, though flac has its advantages.

The wizard in the most recent version of EAC will set flac up to encode for you.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC

That's correct.
  3. tttoan

tttoan New Member

greynol,
    Thank you for quick/clear response.

Then I have to come back to APE. :)
  4. Redo1

Redo1 New Member

Does EAC intend to implement on-the-fly FLAC decoding with CD writing? It's quite a popular format and it's a little time consuming to have to use a third-party app to decode FLAC to WAV. As FLAC is open source and GPL, it's not going to raise any licencing concerns.
  5. wyhiwyg

wyhiwyg Member Deluxe

I prefer FLAC over APE, since FLAC is cross platform, unlike APE.

Some personal music players support FLAC, although you may have to use third party firmware (Rockbox).
  6. Mike_A

Mike_A Member Deluxe

I agree. I think FLAC is also more common than APE.
  7. Fuga

Fuga New Member

APE has been crossplatform for some years now.
  8. wyhiwyg

wyhiwyg Member Deluxe

APE has been crossplatform for some years now.

Well, when I visit monkeysaudio.com, the download page only has stuff for Windows. Since I use Windows, I never bothered looking for third party stuff :).

Wiki (which I know isn't always accurate) says:
    "There was some discussion on the Monkey's Audio website about official support for Linux and Mac OS users, though none of this came to fruition."
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  9. Fuga

Fuga New Member

Understandable.
  10. bugmenot

bugmenot New Member

On the topic of compression comparison: if you use the best settings in each (FLAC and APE) to compress WAV originals, I assert that you will find very little real difference in the size of the resulting files should your collection be small. Granted, that comes with all the usual caveats of different ratios for different types of waveforms. However, I can subjectively say that when I tried an experiment with my own collection, ranging from classical to industrial to jazz and everything in-between, I only had around 50 Mb of difference between the files as a whole out of around 20 Gb of ape and flac tracks. APE was slightly smaller, but the differences in compression between genres was also a balancing effect- each does better with certain types of waveforms it seems.

Again, all subjective impressions. Check out HydrogenAudio. I remember seeing an excellent comparison done there some time ago.
  11. greynol

greynol Member Deluxe

I typically see more than 10x savings over what bugmenot is reporting using MAC over flac. IOW, I would gain at least 500MB on a 20GB collection.

I also find that the more compressed and loud the music is that you listen to the better MAC does, which (for better or worse) is the direction new releases or remasters of older releases is going. Classical music, OTOH doesn't compress much better with MAC, and with mono recordings it has been my experience that flac is usually better.

Again, this is not to say that flac does not have some significant advantages over MAC, just not when it comes to making smaller files and making them more quickly when using aggressive settings.

http://www.synthetic-soul.co.uk/comparison/lossless/
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  12. goodbabywell

goodbabywell New Member

Bigasoft Audio Converter (the professional APE Converter) can easily convert Monkey's Audio APE to MP3, FLAC, WAV, M4A, WMA, OGG, AAC, AC3, AUD, AIFF, AU, RA and more. at Convert APE to MP3, WAV, M4A, WMA on Mac and Windows

This powerful APE Converter can help:

Convert APE to uncompressed audio formats like APE to WAV, APE to AIFF, or APE to AU
    Convert APE to lossless compressed audio formats like APE to M4A (Apple Lossless) or APE to FLAC
    Convert APE to lossy compressed audio formats like APE to MP3, APE to OGG, APE to WMA, APE to AAC, APE to RA, APE to MP2, APE to AC3 and more
    Convert and play APE in iTunes/iPod/iPhone/iPad/Apple TV/Mac/QuickTime and more
    Convert and play APE in Winamp, Windows Media Player, Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000 and more
    Convert and play APE on Android, Motorola, BlackBerry, LG, Samsung, Xbox 360, Microsoft Zune, PSP, PS3, Wii and more
  13. mpilting

mpilting New Member

codec performance

This is an old thread, but there's something I'd like to add. According to the rockbox codec performance page, flac is much more efficient than ape:

CodecPerformanceComparison < Main < Wiki

It takes fewer cpu cycles and less time to decode flac than ape. While not noticeable on most computers, this performance difference is important with today's portable media players. Certain mp3 players that support either flac or ape sometimes don't do well with ape. MP3 players have limited processor power, and the increased need for cpu cycles to decode ape files means the mp3 player may not play ape files smoothly. The rockbox site shows that a typical ape file takes around six to eight times as long to decode.

Yes, ape files are usually a little smaller, but flac files give better performance.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  14. Rewqa

Rewqa New Member

Just try this detailed guide on how to convert FLAC to APE. Wish it can be helpful. Good luck.
  15. wyhiwyg

wyhiwyg Member Deluxe

No need for spam (ie. detailed guide) when CueTools can easily transcode.
  16. newwikstrom

newwikstrom New Member

how to find cue tool and is there mac version?
  17. Surfy

Surfy Member Deluxe

::

CUETools is here but not for Macintosh.

Greetings, ... :awayaway:

::